Dealing with a medical malpractice case can be a complex and confusing process, especially if you are unfamiliar with the law. If you or a loved one has been affected by medical malpractice in Atlanta, Georgia, it is important to understand the legal process before taking any action. This article will provide an overview of Atlanta’s medical malpractice lawsuit process so that you are better prepared to handle your case.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice is an act or omission by a medical professional which deviates from the accepted medical standard of care, resulting in injury or harm to a patient. It can be an act of negligence or intentional conduct. Common types of medical malpractice include medical errors, improper diagnosis, improper treatment, or a failure to provide proper treatment.
What to Look for in an Atlanta Medical Malpractice Lawyer
When seeking legal advice in a medical malpractice case, finding a knowledgeable, experienced attorney who can guide you through the law process and help you achieve the best outcome possible is important. A medical malpractice attorney in Atlanta should have expertise in the areas of medical law, legal research, and negotiation. It is also essential to find an expert lawyer who will take the time to listen to your concerns and provide you with clear and comprehensive guidance.
5 Steps of a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in Atlanta
- Consultation and Evaluation – Before filing a medical malpractice lawsuit, your Atlanta medical malpractice attorney will review the specifics of your case and evaluate the evidence. This step can involve gathering medical records and other documents, interviewing witnesses, and researching applicable laws. Your attorney will then be able to determine the merits of your case and advise you on the best course of action.
- Filing a Lawsuit – Once your lawyer determines that you have a viable medical malpractice case, they will file a complaint in the appropriate court. The complaint will include specific details about the medical care or treatment that was given, the damages that were suffered, and how the medical professional’s negligence was a direct cause of the damages.
- Discovery – Discovery is the process in which the parties exchange evidence and information, including documents, interrogatories, and depositions. During discovery, both parties work to gather evidence to support their claims.
- Mediation or Arbitration – In some cases, a decision may be reached through an alternative dispute resolution such as mediation or arbitration, where a neutral third party will listen to both sides and make a ruling.
- Trial – If all other forms of resolution fail, the case may go to trial. During the trial, both sides will present their evidence and arguments in front of a jury. The local jury will then deliberate and reach a verdict. After reaching a verdict, either side may still appeal the decision to a higher court.
If you or a loved one has been affected by medical malpractice in Atlanta, seeking legal advice from a knowledgeable and experienced attorney who can guide you through the process is vital. Understanding the steps of a medical malpractice Georgia lawsuit can help you make the best decisions for your case and achieve the best outcome possible.