Family members and friends of a missing Buckhead woman gathered in the Lenox Square mall area and Lakewood/Pryor Road area Saturday to distribute fliers about her disappearance.

They are hoping to increase awareness about the investigation into the disappearance of Stacey Nicole English. Volunteers were asked to wear red, which is English’s favorite color. They also have set up a Facebook page.

A message left with the search organizer wasn’t immediately returned this morning.

The search for English intensified Friday as mounted police and rescue K-9s were dispatched to the area near Aaron’s Amphitheatre at Lakewood, where her car was found Thursday with its engine running. English has been missing since the day after Christmas.

Later on Friday, a St. Louis man who was with English on the night that she is believed to have disappeared said he was named a “person of interest” in the case.

“It sent an uncomfortable tingle through me,” said Robert Kirk, who told Atlanta police that English kicked him out of her condo the night she apparently vanished.

“I don’t know what’s going on. All I know is, I’ve been speaking with [authorities] for a week,” Kirk told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in a phone interview. He declined to say anything more, referring questions to his attorney Scott Rosenblum.

Rosenblum said it was “unfortunate” that his client has been singled out by police.

“When someone is named a person of interest, it makes people think something nefarious happened,” Rosenblum told the AJC. Kirk has been cooperative with police from the beginning, the lawyer said.

There is still no evidence to suggest foul play in English’s disappearance, Atlanta Police Maj. Keith Meadows said.

But new information has surfaced regarding English’s alleged state of mind the evening she disappeared.

According to an incident report released Friday, English told a friend she felt as if someone was trying to hurt her, citing Biblical passages and “discussing the end of the world.” That friend, Michelle Strothers, considered English’s behavior that day out of character, the report states.

Kirk told detectives a similar story, saying English began “acting peculiar” the night of Dec. 26, asking her friend if he was Satan. She asked Kirk to leave and he did, hailing a cab outside the Lenox Road condo, according to the report.

When she last spoke to her daughter Christmas night, Cindy Jamison said there were no indications of the erratic behavior that allegedly followed.

“She was very jovial … very high-spirited,” Cindy Jamison said.

“You really have to consider the sources,” she said when asked about the incident report.

Jamison was also critical of the police’s handling of the case, saying the search should have taken place much earlier.

“It’s very troubling it took this long,” Jamison said.

English’s stepfather, Keith Jamison, said the family hasn’t felt “completely in the loop” regarding the police investigation.

Meadows, commander of the department’s major crimes unit, has acknowledged mistakes were made in the days immediately following English’s disappearance, which was reported to authorities on Dec. 27.

Investigators did not connect the abandoned 2006 Volvo S60 to English, its owner, until Wednesday.

“That information certainly would’ve been helpful” before Jan. 4, Meadows said.